You’ve had a long, hard week and you’re craving your favorite fast food. We get it. We all want a treat sometimes. But this year, why not ditch the takeaway menu and have a go at cooking your own ‘fakeaways’? You’ll not only save the pennies; you’ll feel a little less guilty about the calories!
Below you’ll find a selection of recipes that are quick, easy, and just as tasty. Best of all, you can cook them in the comfort of your own home with FlavorStone – The Pan That Can.
From frying to grilling, with The Pan That Can it’s easy to replicate all your favorite takeaways. The pan’s square shape and deep walls mean you get more space and less spillage compared to most circular pans. Plus, its superior heat conductivity rapidly heats up the entire surface to ensure your food is cooked evenly throughout.
One of FlavorStone’s standout features is its ‘quick release, cool touch’ handle that allows you to move the pan from hob to oven quickly and safely. And then there’s the non-stick coating, which makes washing up a breeze.
Fakeaway recipes to try with the FlavorStone
Light Chicken Korma
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 onion, finely grated
· 1 garlic clove, finely grated
· 2.5 cm (1 in) piece fresh ginger, finely grated
· 4 tbsp korma curry paste
· 4 skinless chicken breasts, each sliced into 5 pieces
· 50 g (2 oz) of ground almonds
· 50 g sultanas
· 500 ml (17 fl oz) chicken stock
· 200 g basmati rice, to serve
· 100 g frozen peas, defrosted
· 125 g (4 oz) natural yogurt
· 6 spring onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
· small bunch of fresh coriander leaves chopped
· 3 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted
For the curry:
1. Heat the oil in the FlavorStone, then add the onion, garlic, and ginger, leaving it to cook for 5 minutes.
2. Stir and fry the curry paste for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken, ground almonds, sultanas, and stock to the FlavorStone and season well. Bring to boil, allowing to simmer. Stir occasionally for 10 minutes – make sure the chicken is cooked through.
4. Remove the chicken from the heat and stir in the yogurt.
For the rice:
1. Put the rice in a pan with 400 ml cold water and a little seasoning. Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 8 minutes.
2. Add the peas to the rice, cover, and cook for a further 4 minutes.
Ingredients (makes 4 pizzas)
· 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
· 1 x 240 g bag baby spinach, wilted
· 125 g (4 oz) mozzarella ball, torn
· 250 g bag grated mozzarella
· 1 x 88 g pack Parma ham, torn
· 4 eggs
For the pizza dough
· 500 g (1 lb) strong bread flour
· 1 tsp caster sugar
· 2 x 7 g sachets dried yeast
· 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
For the pizza dough:
1. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a bowl. Stir in the oil and add 300 ml lukewarm water.
2. Put the dough on a floured work surface and knead for 10 mins. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm, and allow to prove in a warm place until doubled in size.
For the pizza topping:
1. Cook the tomatoes in the FlavorStone. Preheat the oven to its highest setting.
2. Divide the dough into 4 and shape each into a ball. Roll out thinly and place on 4 baking sheets lined with non-stick baking paper.
3. Spread each base with tomato sauce, then scatter over the spinach, mozzarella, and ham.
4. Bake in the FlavorStone, in batches, for 8 mins.
5. Crack an egg in the center of each pizza. Continue baking for 2-3 mins more. Make sure the egg is set and the crust is crisp.
Chinese Sticky Lemon Chicken
· 2 tbsp light soy sauce
· 1 lemon, juiced
· 1 tsp sugar
· 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
· 2 tbsp cornflour
· 2 tbsp sesame oil
· 4 spring onions, finely sliced
· 1 tbsp sesame seeds
· rice and broccoli, to serve (optional)
For the sauce
· 1 small onion, roughly chopped
· 1 tbsp cornflour
· 2 lemons, zest, and juice
· 1-2 tsp clear honey
1. Place the soy sauce, lemon juice, and sugar in a bowl and add the chicken pieces. Mix to coat, cover, and chill for 10 mins.
2. Remove the chicken pieces and toss in the cornflour.
3. Heat half the sesame oil in the FlavorStone over high heat.
4. Add half the chicken and stir-fry until it’s cooked through.
5. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
6. For the sauce, add the remaining oil to the FlavorStone.
7. Add the onion and fry for 10 mins. Mix the cornflour with 1 tsp water to form a paste, then add to the FlavorStone with the lemon zest and juice, honey, and 200 ml water. Bring to the boil, stirring continually until the sauce thickens.
8. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat in the sauce. Stir in the spring onions and sesame seeds.
Spiced Halloumi & Pineapple Burger with Zingy Slaw
· ½ red cabbage, grated
· 2 carrots, grated
· 100 g radishes, sliced
· 1 small pack of coriander, chopped
· 2 limes, juiced
· 1 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
· Big pinch of chili flakes
· 1 tbsp chipotle paste
· 60 g halloumi, cut into 4 slices
· 2 small slices of fresh pineapple
· 1 Little Gem lettuce, divided into 4 lettuce cups, or 2 small seeded burger buns, cut in half, to serve (optional)
1. Put the cabbage, carrot, radish, and coriander in a bowl. Pour over the lime juice, add ½ tbsp oil and the chili flakes, season with salt and pepper. Mix with your hands. Do this a few hours before and keep it in the fridge.
2. Mix the remaining oil with the chipotle paste and coat the halloumi slices in the mixture.
3. Heat the FlavorStone and put the halloumi slices in the pan with the pineapple. Cook for 2 mins on each side until the cheese is golden, and the pineapple is beginning to caramelize.
4. Brush the buns with the remaining oil, then put your burger buns, cut-side down, on the FlavorStone for the last 30 seconds to toast.
5. Assemble your burgers and serve with the remaining slaw.
Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese
· 160 g raw cashews
· 200 g carrots, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
· 700 g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
· 90 ml olive oil
· 40 g nutritional yeast
· 1 lemon, juice only
· 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
· 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
· 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
· 1 tsp cayenne pepper
· 400 g macaroni
· 3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
1. Soak the cashew nuts in water and leave them overnight.
2. Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
3. Steam the carrots and potatoes in the FlavorStone for 5 mins.
4. Transfer to a food processor. Drain the cashews and add these with 60 ml of the oil, then blitz to break down the nuts. Tip in the other ingredients – apart from the macaroni, breadcrumbs, and the remaining oil – then blitz until the mixture is smooth.
5. Cook the macaroni in a large pan of salted water for 1 min less than packet instructions, drain then stir through the sauce.
6. Transfer the mix to the FlavorStone, stir the breadcrumbs with the remaining oil, and season. Scatter over the top of the macaroni and bake for 20-25 mins until piping hot and crisp.